First off I apologize in advance if this is untrue. However I believe this is happening. Here are my reasons.
1. Depeche Mode is performing tonight (Monday, March 11th) at the Ed Sullivan Theater. It is a special concert in the 461 seat venue that will be webcast for CBS. They will also apear on the David Letterman show later that night. To win a seat fans were asked to mail in an explanation of what they thought the new album title “Delta Machine” means. After looking up the word Delta I found it is the Greek number 4. A friend of mine wanted a ticket and I said to her why not guess Alan Wilder is rejoining the band? Then I paused and some recent events which I list below all flashed across my eyes and it came to me: No, it’s not Alan it’s Vince! Here’s the kicker. My friend wrote to the contest that Delta means the original band members are rejoining. Vince Clarke is rejoining the band. She won a ticket and is going to the concert tonight.
2. I would guess it takes DM about a year to make an album. May 22, 2012 the Slicing Up Eyeballs blog posts a photo of DM and Vince at dinner together (link). The article states that of course Martin and Vince at that time recently released VCMG their techno project. In January Popmatters reported while reviewing Heaven and discussing the upcoming Delta Machine that, “Ex-Depeche Mode member Vince Clarke is also rumored to be working on some remixes.”. What if this entire time he’s simply been in the studio recording Delta Machine as a band member?
3. March 7, 2013. The Quietus does a track by track preview of Delta Machine (link) and in the preview they state, ” It’s really starting to feel as if some of the VCMG sonics have rubbed off on Depeche Mode. There’s a great breakdown of drums and a one-note keyboard line..”. Rub off? Or?
4. Here’s my own personal wake up call. I buy a lot of synthesizer stuff. I’m really into a special type of modular synth called “Eurorack”. There is a store in Brooklyn called Control (link) that sells these special modules. Guess who’s been in there recently? Daniel Miller, Martin Gore and Vince Clarke.
5. Take a look at the recent photo above. Was Vince Photoshopped out of this keep the secret?
“Vincent John Martin (born 3 July 1960), better known by his stage name Vince Clarke, is an English synthpop musician and songwriter. Clarke has been a member of a number of groups, including Depeche Mode, Yazoo, The Assembly and Erasure. He is often credited as being the King of the Synthesizer.” – Wikipedia
So what do you think?
For more info: depechemode.com