I Dream of Wires 2013 Trailer

The incredible modular synth documentary I Dream of Wires is getting closer to being finished. It comes out this June. The new trailer above is great. I can’t wait to see this and further justify my obsession and spending.

“This is the famous red panel that was apparently dipped in LSD where you could kind of lick it and get some extra inspiration.”

For more info: idreamofwires.org

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on February 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm, filed under modular, synthesizer and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

11 Responses to “I Dream of Wires 2013 Trailer”

1. Trms says:

While I find some of the stuff related to the modular synthesizers world pretty awesome (the physicality, the unpredictability, the sound, the passion these people have, the feel of community…), there’s a dark side to it that I don’t like one bit. It’s all buy buy buy buy – the whole scene seems to drive itself into a mindless consumerism that I find obsessive and, frankly, quite creepy.

• I won’t argue with that on the consumerism/addiction is ugly. If you were to compare this stuff value wise to software I’d say this wins… lasts longer and doesn’t need pricey, yearly upgrades or gets stuck on old computers. Creating stuff just to collect is also quite bad for the environment. Still… I enjoy it greatly and will sell modules I don’t use.

• Mark Hawkins says:

to be honest though, it’s perfectly possible to build your own modules from scratch. I’d disagree with your comment about “mindless consumerism”. “Mindless consumerism” in my mind is buying shit from big companies because you were told you need it by your television set. The modular scene is based around small companies who are obviously doing it for the love because it’s certainly not mass market, the margins are probably very slim. I’d quite happily put money into the pocket of some person building modules in his garage to earn a modest living. I think your comment reflects the assumption that anything vaguely artistic must be available to download for free, there has to be a contribution somewhere along the line otherwise none of these machines would ever get made. And this comment is coming from one of the most anti-consumerist people out there…

• Mark Hawkins says:

That was directed at Trms BTW ;)

• TRMS says:

Not at all, I like to get paid for my live shows and my music, and I pay for all of my software even when I could pirate it because, like you point out, there’s the effort of people behind it. I even donate to freeware programmers if I find I use and like their stuff.

In my mind, “consumerism” means “obsessingly buying things you don’t need”, wheter you buy them from Apple or from a small local bussines run by a nice guy is irrelevant. Of course I know that not every single modular (or Apple!) user is like that, I just see it happen quite often, and the trailer seems to present this as an integral part of the modular scene, with a lot of the people in it saying they can never get enough.

2. Trms says:

I see your “hardware value vs. software value” point, but let’s put it this way: I think I’ve spent, in total, about 2000$ on a computer, audio interface, software, speakers and a couple of controllers (give or take 500$).

What I got for it: the tools to make two EPs that got published in international labels and dozens of live shows.

My point is – if I spend 2500$ on audio equipment, I want it to be something that allows me to do EVERYTHING with it, not just very cool sounds! You absolutely can’t make a record just with a synthesizer, you need to hear it, record it, mix it, arrange it, store what you recorded… and that’s just for studio work.

Maybe I see things this way because I’m in an economic situation where I absolutely need everything I buy to make sense in a monetary way, and I just don’t see a expensive modular system helping me make better music, reaching to more people, selling more music or booking more shows. Well, maybe the last one, those things look cool as fuck on a stage!

3. tokyojoe says:

TRMS – I’m going to go out on a limb and guess you’ve never owned a hardware synth. What you don’t know you don’t miss. For me there’s something about hardware and modulars in particular that invites you to think in ways you wouldn’t probably do with software. And it doesn’t have to be expensive – while I support the guys who make this stuff there’s also the 2nd hand market – I picked up a dotcom modular at the weekend for $400 on craigslist (case, power and 7 modules in perfect condition)!

• TRMS says:

Yes, I have an Elektron Machinedrum, and I love every single thing about it. It’s way faster and more entertaining to make an interesting drum pattern with it than the “mouse+piano roll” approach. And I really like using it live synched with my laptop, it adds another layer of “organicness” and spontaneity when you program and tweak things on the fly on top of what’s playing. I have nothing against hardware, really. It’s the “you need six tons of analog equipment to be taken serioulsy as a true electronic musician” thing that pisses me off. I’m not saying that’s your case, but I see it happen, specially in the “true as fuck” techno scene. I mean, look at this guy: http://vimeo.com/13700219

And congratulations on your dotcom purchase, seems like you got a really good deal!

4. Marcus says:

Being able to build up your own synth based on what the individual needs are is unbeatable in my opinion and if I had more knowledge of making sounds,a modular would’ve been my first choice instead of what I recently bought.I’m learning though and the future buy will be modular.
    Wasnt that Alec Empire at around 10min btw?