Permut8

Is this is a software Oto Biscuit? Maybe not but it’s from Sonic Charge so it’s 100% going to be useful. 12bit delay, analog saturation, limiter, etc… Permut8 is available now for $66 (25% off if you own any of their other products). I’m going to try it tonight when I get home from work and will update this post with some thoughts. Please do tell me what you think!

“Permut8 is an effect plug-in that embraces the sounds of primitive signal processing hardware. At its core is a 12-bit digital delay with variable sample rate from 0 to 352 khz. The delay is controlled by a programmable processor that allows you to change and modulate the delay time with various “operators”. The input and output stages offers virtual analog components for saturation, limiting and filtering. The sound of Permut8 is raw and complex but noisy and warm at the same time.” – soniccharge.com

For more info: soniccharge.com/permut8

1. I’ve just played with the plugin a little bit.It is an interesting
    FX for shure.And I guess if you go deeper into it its probably pretty f*cked up.But to be honest I like the Effectrix more. Did you try it?

2. It’s much weirder than Effectrix, Turnado or DBGlitch! I haven’t completely got my head around what it actually is but for the most part it comes across as a circuit bent mangling unit with so much depth and flavour to it courtesy of the multiple stereo crushing ‘operands’. Smashing a simple DMX606 drum loop though I was able to make warped bass lines, bit-core melodies and various stereo pitched drums for controlled modulated effects…all in all it sounds brilliant if you love crushing the life out of your music.

1. I know what you mean and I didnt really want it to sound like I was comparing it to Effectrix.
      I had a simple synth line on one channel while a just as simple drumloop on the other bringing it together through an fx channel (cubase) into Permut8 and had those fx you mentioned too by just using presets and messing around a little.I liked it more on the drumloop though,but after a while,I must admit,I got bored and just happened to load up the Effectrix and somehow had more fun with that.Its a matter of taste ofcourse and I didnt mean to step onto anyones feet which is why I said.. I like…
      Afterall I never said anything negative about the plugin.
      As long as we’re all creative,all is good anyway ;)

1. Nah that’s cool man, Effectrix is huge amounts of fun! ;) I have Permut8 running inside NI Maschine and I’ve individually mapped it to the 8 (x3…page layer) macro controls a way that felt more natural to play with. Recording the huge amount of permutations of the hexadecimal ‘operands’ is obviously much more fun than individual pin switching. It really does come to life if you can map those operands and operators to some midi rotaries. Well it did for me ;)

1. I love Effectrix and Tornado is also excellent. I only had a chance to spend 10 minutes with Permut8. I’m trying to figure out what’s going on… I love the Feedback circuit and the fact is has a random function.

3. Digital Bath Salts August 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I think I can do some similar FSU with Kombinat DVA.

4. This thing is quite insane. Not got a scooby* how this thing works but just by midi mapping the controls I was coming up with interesting, and probably unrepeatable stuff. If you click on the Permut8 logo it opens up a console view. Type LOGON username is USERNAME, password is PASSWORD and you can run a speech synthesizer or even an old school text adventure game. Geek heaven my friends!

*Scooby Doo rhyming slang for clue

5. Michael Forshaw August 29, 2012 at 2:48 am

i bought it yesterday, spent the whole night messing about wi the speech synth SAM… love it

6. I really love this plugin but for me it creates so much noise behind whatever I play through it I don’t know if this is what Sonic Charge were going for but can somebody please help?