Propellerhead Rack Extensions and Figure

Propellerhead Software is finally going to allow 3rd party plug-ins in it’s Reason software. They are going their own route with a proprietary format called Rack Extensions. There are some advantages as the plug-ins will integrate and possibly perform better than a standard VST or AU. In addition you will be able to get the Rack Extensions from within Reason which follows Apple’s recent playbook. Speaking of Apple and iOS Propellhead is also working on an application called Figure. Unlike the iOS version of Re-Birth Figure is a fresh effort to bring Propellerheads onto the touch screen. Figure is parts of Reason for iOS. It will be in the App store later this week for $1. Watch the video above to get a close look.

“With Propellerhead Rack Extensions and the Rack Extension Store, you’ll already be there. Instead of unstable plug-ins, authentication nightmares and compatibility complications, Propellerhead offers an alternative: Unifying. Simplifying. Future-proofing. Rack Extensions expand Reason, and let you add whatever your music needs. Be it instruments or effects, by Propellerhead or others. Try it, buy it, and download it straight into your rack. There simply are no risky choices. Just everything your music needs today. And tomorrow. Propellerhead Rack Extensions arrive in the next version of Reason, second quarter of 2012. For owners of Reason 6 or Reason Essentials, the upgrade will be free.” – propellerheads.se

For more info: propellerheads.se/news/rackextensions

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on March 21, 2012 at 6:26 am, filed under Propellerhead Reason and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

14 Responses to “Propellerhead Rack Extensions and Figure”

1. Raytrace says:

I have to say I am excited by this – if they enable lots of higher end EQs etc. I could use it as my final ‘mastering’ (in the loosest sense of the word ;) ) pass, instead of now bringing the final WAV into Wavosaur and applying Nebula/UAD/TC Powercore to it, I usually do at least a gentle pass of Record/Reason’s lovely SSL based Master Compressor so it would save me a lot of time, and I love using Record’s EQs/strips

2. Brian says:

Seeing Bitspeak and Uhbik on a Reason rack gets me pretty excited…

3. Raytrace says:

I have to say the guy in the 40 minute video makes a really good point about say for example, just opening a track on another PC – how difficult it is to get all the plugins working the same etc. I’m 2 weeks after a fresh install and I STILL haven’t gotten all my VSTs in order :( – (I’m talking of course of ones that install stuff in Program Files and iLok stuff etc.) – I know you Oliver always freeze and save your stems from every song specifically to future proof against this sortof thing (though obviously it isn’t as re-editable as what the guy is suggesting in the video).

4. Raytrace says:

KORG working on Rack Extensions! – nice

5. dominic says:

very interesting. and yeah what’s up with Ableton?

6. antfactor says:

I, for one, am actually far more excited about Figure. I find many iOS based synths powerful and cool, but generally lack what I want most from the interface: gesture based input and live control for interactive performance. I am hoping that Propellerheads hits on the right combo of sonic options and gestural control. It looks like they are moving in the right directions and are obviously committed to deeper developments.

The next frontier in all this for ME is not sound options… but flexible and expressive INTERFACES to control them with in real-time. I think Buchla had it right from the start with their touch keypad… WAY ahead of it’s time in terms of expressiveness on a synthesizer.

7. Raytrace says:

OK sorry to post about a totally seperate issue, but does anyone know anyone in Waldorf Music .de ? – I been trying to get the 64 bit installable version of Edition all week (I have the CD but wont install on 64 bit). support@waldorf.de haven’t answered – does anyone know of another email to contact them through ?

I can’t see any other way to contact them.

Any help is much much appreciated as sorting out my VST folder post fresh OS install is doing my head in :/ .