Waldorf Pulse 2

It’s now hard to imagine that not too long ago you couldn’t buy a new small inexpensive analog synth from a major manufacturer. Today you have many options. I use to have a Waldorf Pulse+. I used it on many of my releases in the late 90s including the song Can You Hear the Sound?. I always regretted selling it. Well here’s my chance to fix that error. Waldorf is about to release the Pulse 2. Like the the original number 2 has 3 oscillators and a cascading filter. Now Waldorf have added Highpass and Bandpass modes, analog Filter FM and Ring Modulation.

“Sometimes they do come back, and this time, it’s with even more brute-strength power onboard. You are looking at a completely analog synthesizer that accurately delivers what synthesizer enthusiasts around the world truly crave. Pulse 2 is the reincarnation of it’s legendary ancestor, the Waldorf Pulse, that dominated the electronic music of the 90s.” – Waldorfmusic.de

For more info: waldorfmusic.de/pulse-2-overview

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on January 19, 2012 at 4:34 am, filed under synthesizer and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

13 Responses to “Waldorf Pulse 2”

1. pulsn says:

Analog monophonic synths (the Pulse 2 is paraphonic….yeah!) are popping up left and right…it´s like companies realized that analog synth sound is still more beefy than any digital, hard or soft, synth.

• It’s really interesting. I think we all discovered soft synths really don’t sound as good. I like them, use them… but if you have the choice go real.

• pulsn says:

Absolutely. Softsynths have their advantage, but you hardly can use the same one on a new computer in fifteen years from now on. I know that in fifteen years, i still can switch my Perfourmer on and it will work just out of the box.

2. dominic says:

analog? how can this be analog? it looks exactly like the Blofeld. not that i don’t like that ( a friend own the Blofeld and it sounds great) but to me it looks like a digital synth.

• pulsn says:

Just because something looks digital and does not mean that it IS digital? What a strange perception…

• Colin says:

I’m guessing most/all of the components are surface mount instead of through-hole. This, along with the minimal control surface, would shrink the footprint considerably. The reason the analog synths of yesterday were such beasts is because they were crammed full of bulky transistors and capacitors and luxuries like a knob or button for every parameter.

3. dominic says:

what i mean by “looks like digital” it’s that a synth like that with only a few knobs and alot of sub-menus to give functions of those few knobs looks digital to me. if you know an analogue synth like that please let me know.

• pulsn says:

It has a matrix interface like the Blofeld or Moog Phatty. My Shruthi-1 has digital oscs and an analog filter and looks digital (design) too…but it has a great warm sound!

The Oscillators on the Pulse 2 are listed as “full analog” on the Waldorf site, so my guess is that they are VCOs.

4. dominic says:

i mean “digitaly-controlled”. sorry when it comes a bit technical my english is not perfect hehe

5. dominic says: