TC Electronic Discontinues the PowerCore

I love my TC Electronic’s Powercore. The hardware software solution has a sound quality clearly above most of my native plug-ins. A few of the Powercore plug-in’s such has TC Helicon’s VoiceModler I think are unique and personally indispensable. I really hope TC Helicon makes VoiceModler available in a native or UAD format.

“As part of a larger strategic review, we have decided to cease further development of the PowerCore product range, including hardware units as well as software for the PowerCore platform.” – TC Electronic

For more info about the crossgrade: gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=6032

1. This kind of thing always makes me hesitant to invest in dedicated DSP boxes like Powercore, Duende, Universal Audio, TDM, etc.

2. Will they go open source just or will the hardware and software combination die soon?

1. I don’t know. I’d like to see them port their plugs to another format.

3. aww seriously this is sad for me :( – I only recently bought X5, I use X3 and their 1176 emu and EQSat all the time (the ‘less digital noise’ preset is great. I have a Powercore and a UAD Mk1 – looks like I’m gonna have to go to a UAD-2 PCIe or Firewire and put the Powercore plugs on that. It’s weird though cos I remember reading somewhere that the Powercore chips were faster than UAD – though maybe that was just UAD-1…

1. I agree this isn’t ideal. If they port the plugs then it will be ok. For now your system still works. My studio machine is a Powermac G5 2.5. I only very recently wanted to upgrade. For example Stutter Edit requires 10.5 which won’t run on the G5. So when I get a Power Mac I’ll have to say goodbye to my Powercore plug-ins.

4. oh so is your Mac a PowerPC chipped Mac and Stutter Edit only runs on the OS X build for intel chips?

yeah hopefully I should be ok – I’ve been needing to get a UAD-2 card for a long time, and in a way it will be handier to have them all running off 1 if needs be, though I do like the blue Knight Rider/Battlestar Galactica feel of the swishy light on my Powercore Compact

1. Actually what’s strange is Stutter Edit is available as a Universal Binary (Intel or Power PC) but as far as I know my G5 can’t run 10.5 in fact I think 10.5 is Intel only… so… Stutter Edit isn’t a Universal Binary. I could be wrong?

5. aww:

‘The cross-grade offer is valid from February 1, 2011 to June 30, 2011. In order to qualify for the cross-grade offer, PowerCore users must register a new UAD-2 package, including the recently announced UAD-2 Satellite Firewire DSP Accelerator, within this period. Further, the offer is only valid to new users, i.e. users that are new to the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform.’

so I’m being PUNISHED for owning a UAD and a Powercore? :'(

I already have UAD Cambridge, but it would be REALLY nice to get Fairchild and Pultec-Pro for free when I get my UAD-2 :(

1. I would email both TC and UAD. You never know maybe they will help and understand. You deserve a perk for being a good shopper! :)

6. haha I’ll give it a go before June deffo

7. I think I’m totally getting screwed by that crossgrade offer. I just picked up a UAD2 mid-December when the Studer came out. Bad timing.

8. It wasn’t hard to see this one coming. I have three PowerCore X8’s in my studio and Powercore still doesn’t play well with Snow Leopard / OS 10.6. It was fast, accurate, sounded really good on 10.4 but they just couldn’t seem to make it work on 64 bit. I have thousands invested in plug-in’s including the exepensive reverbs, the Tube Tech compressor and the Harmony… what a waste. To top it off, I’ve had a recent bad experience using the much vaunted TC G-System… I think I’ll avoid TC for the next decade or so.

9. @Oliver: Your G5 will run 10.5.8 (required for Stutter Edit), but not 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I recently made the move to an Intel based Mac Pro from my old dual 2.0 G5 and left behind my TC Powercore PCI card. I’m tempted to upgrade my UAD-1, as I have a quantity of purchased UAD plug-ins, but I’ve never been fond of the latency involved with any DSP based system.