Depeche Mode – Some Great Reward Demos

Depeche Mode’s Some Great Reward album from 1984 is one of my favorites. I can sing every lyric on the album in order from beginning to end. It has a romantic feel with plenty of melodies, early sampling and fantastic 80s drums. I don’t know the story behind these demo versions of the album tracks but from a musician’s stand point they are very interesting. The highly produced gloss is gone revealing many of the songs parts which on the CD meld together (in a good way).

“In September 1984, Some Great Reward was released. Melody Maker claimed that the album made one “sit up and take notice of what is happening here, right under your nose.” In contrast to the political and environmental subjects addressed on the previous album, the songs on Some Great Reward were mostly concerned with more personal themes such as sexual politics (“Master and Servant”), adulterous relationships (“Lie to Me”), and arbitrary divine justice (“Blasphemous Rumours”). Also included was the first Martin Gore ballad (“Somebody”) – such songs would become a feature of all following albums. “Somebody” was released as a double a-side with “Blasphemous Rumours” and was the first single with Gore on lead vocals. Some Great Reward was the first Depeche Mode album to enter the US album charts, and it made the Top 10 in several European countries.” – Wikipedia.org

Be sure to own the original album!

via ASUKLTD

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on July 13, 2010 at 3:29 am, filed under music, song writing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

13 Responses to “Depeche Mode – Some Great Reward Demos”

1. Michael says:

Yeah one of my all time favourite DM records, right after Construction Time Again. I too know all the lyrics by heart! There was a great “Classic Tracks” article in SOS a few years back about the recording of “People are People”, seems the magic was down to Alan and Daniel, as they slaved away 24/7.

2. tazzaler says:

I like your picking “Stories of Old” to be on the top of the post, it, in my opinion is the sleeper hit of the whole album.

3. Mia says:

Chester,

When you boned me on the 101 bus, you really should have pulled out. Just like the track, Told You So. By the way, you have a 16 year old kid named appropriately “Fletch”. He really despises you as you haven’t been around all these years. We live in Orange County,CA and you’re welcome to come back in our lives at anytime.

Take Care,
    Mia

4. mr c says:

soooo, glad they left out the female backing on master and servent LOL

5. Chud says:

You guys sound like little teenage girls. “I can sing every word on this album and I know it by heart.” Shit. Do you know the words to “Britney” and
    “Christina” and “Miley” also? Like I want to see any of you fags in your underwear, holding a plastic spoon while you lip sync like a little preteen girl trying to pretend you’re Martin Gore or Dave Gahan. Aahhh, the visual!
    Total fags on this turd forum.

6. Chud says:

Not pissed off at you, just the turd that was all “I know them too!”
    A real turd in the punch bowl.

Anyways, why did DM turn into a rock band? After Alan bounced I think everything turned into something completely different. They had one guest producer after another. Couldn’t have Martin taken the job? We all know Andy doesn’t do jack shit. And Dave is a vocalist. But I think they just gave up too much control to outside producers that never really got it. In all those albums after Violator, there has only been about 5 or 6 songs that I really like that was worth two turds, let alone one.

Just one man’s opinion on DM.

• I agree the past decade of albums were mostly lame. Each recent album only had 1 or 2 great songs at the most. But compare their run of great stuff with other bands and they are far ahead of the pack. It’s too bad because I really enjoyed the old stuff so much… I guess we still have that to listen to but it would be nice to hear amazing new albums again.

7. synthfiend says:

I was living in a small town in central Texas at the time, and discovered DM due to the popularity of People Are People. This album was a musical touchstone for me – the sampled metallic sounds were like nothing I’d heard before and, of course, the songwriting. The first copy I owned was a cassette tape, and the first time I listened to it was in my car – when the intro to “Something To Do” came on, I thought the cassette player was eating the tape! GREAT album.

There’s certainly something missing since Alan’s departure, but when I revisit the later albums, I still find quite a few gems.

8. Chud says:

I could never really get a nut though on any Recoil stuff (accept for Hydrology 1 + 2) and that seems like some brilliant sampling with the Emulator II and a bunch of music for the masses samples. I saw some recent pics of Martin. Gosh, they’re starting to look Rolling Stones old.

Dave just gets better with time.