Enjoy your life

Here’s a great video from the Sasquatch Music Festival 2009 (watch until the end for the good stuff). James over at Synthtopia titled this video, “If You’re Doing A Live Show, Make Sure You Invite This Guy.”. I agree 100%. This reminds me of the movie Defending Your Life. The basic moral of the movie is that you only live once so stop worrying what other people think of you. I’m such a tightly wound person I think of think of this stuff a lot. I’m always trying to remember that most people are just concerned with their own lives, no one really cares what the hell you are doing so enjoy your time without shame.

“Yuppie Daniel Miller is killed in a car accident and goes to Judgment City, a waiting room for the afterlife. During the day, he must prove in a courtroom-style process that he successfully overcame his fears (a hard task, given the pitiful life we are shown)” – Defending Your Life, IMDB.com

via Synthtopia

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on November 12, 2009 at 6:09 am, filed under political and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

11 Responses to “Enjoy your life”

1. Chud says:

I would have walked to the car and drove home! Being a black sheep and not doing what everyone else does is the coolest thing about me. An independent thinker is pretty rare these days.

2. jimmersound says:

@ chud – dude, the whole point is that the dancing guy IS an independent thinker & he started a mini-dance-revolution/moment with his enthusiasm & lack of concern for what others thought of him. I totally back the dancing dude as well as those who joined in.

3. Chud says:

Yes that’s why YOU would have been just another cat in the crowd. Verses me walking back to the car with my ipod listening to my own tunes, on my own.
    You’re just another follower, turd.

Lonely is the new dance party. – The Sight Below

4. Books & Backpacks says:

If the first guy to join in dancing had hit the dancer over the head instead, every other person would still have joined in anyways, except that instead of dancing they would have feasted on the free dancer’s flesh.

Do your own thing though, cool.

5. Chud says:

The guy was a total clown and was probably tripping on something of some kind. He was in his under ware dancing pretty way out there. Granted he didn’t give a rats ass what anyone thought of him because his inhibitions were probably so far gone on whatever he was rolling on. The part that made me sick were the “me too” idiots that couldn’t get over there fast enough. Some of them were about to trip over themselves to join in. That’s who I have an issue with. Respect for the guy who didn’t give a flying rats ass, even as stupid as he looked. And the second and 3rd guy was even mocking him a little. But it’s the people that were peeing their pants to be in with the in crowd that made me ill.

6. Charles Cushman says:

Wow, a lot of negativity. Tripping or not, the guy was enjoying the music. Sometimes the crowd needs that little push to start dancing, be it the right song, or someone walking out onto an empty floor.

7. Angstrom says:

Human potential to follow the leader is essential to musicians, unless your aim is to have no fans whatsoever. Herd instinct is not inherently a negative trait, it can be very useful. It is a time saver for human cognition to check social cues of whether an activity has value, or not. Sometimes the herd is wrong, sometimes it is right. But in this case all participants received an endorphin bonus from being part of a group enterprise. Nobody died.

Individuality is all very good, but without followers behind the individual the creative act is valueless.

8. Torley says:

Being part of a crowd tends to only be lame if you don’t believe in what you’re doing. We all have insecurities that we’re afraid to share because we feel that SOMEONE out there will understand, but WHO? Getting it wrong makes us retract further. Therein lies the risk.

Oliver, have you seen Being There starring Peter Sellers? I HIGHLY recommend it insofar as living life so simply that you don’t care what other people think. I’ve not seen Defending Your Life so I’m going to check it out.

As you continually do, thank you for sharing. :)