Music for profit and fame?

Bathroom Wall

True and totally applies to making music these days. What do you think? Do you make music for profit and fame or just “because”? I guess getting girls is far more important than cash and crowds. Ah never mind it’s all the same thing.

“i am 97.2% certain this is written on a bathroom wall somewhere in every single city in the world. …and i kinda love that, in the lamest of ways.” – Fernando

via filthyphil

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on October 19, 2009 at 4:53 pm, filed under political and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

6 Responses to “Music for profit and fame?”

1. Jimmy James says:

I don’t know about you, but something about playing with expensive synthesisers every day to make weird music to play at gigs where the soundman just looks at you strangely (“where am I supposed to put THIS?”) and where the groupies are old guys in Moog t-shirts who insist on discussing gearlists ad nauseum with you has to be a labour of love, right? Any financial return on your investment by selling cds or t shirts or getting paid to play or any positive attention of the opposite sex (or whomever) has to be a bonus…

2. Kent Sandvik says:

I would think, with some very few exceptions, that musicians make music that someone else would like to listen to and enjoy.

3. COOL CHARACTER says:

HERE’S THE HIERARCHY:

PASSION FOR THE ART ITSELF > PASSION FOR SOMETHING TO EXPRESS THROUGH THE ART > PASSION FOR SOME NON-BIOLOGICAL THING TO GAIN THROUGH PRODUCING THE ART (money, glory, etc…) > FOR THE CHICKS

Basically, if you do it for the girls, you’re working too, too hard just to get laid.

4. Suicide Server says:

I think that most of the musicians make music for them self and dont care if others like or enjoy it, at least this is the way it works for me

5. Simon says:

I make music because it amazes me that it’s even possible. And because I like to encourage people to dance.

6. DGillespie says:

I actually think that writing on toiled walls is indeed done for critical acclaim, but that’s just me.