Welcome to the redesigned Wire to the Ear.

wiretotheear-old_design

Welcome to the newly redesigned Wire to the Ear. My love for Helvetica shines brightly in this new incarnation of my all things pro-audio blog. The Swiss fonts are large and images are boldly framed in black. The signature blue from the old blog has been adjusted to be a bit richer and so has the yellow used for my authored comments. A cleaner Flickr slideshow replaces the old grid widget in the sidebar. Vimeo replaces the blip.tv video widget. I’ve zapped a few old elements that were out dated or unused (Delicious bookmarks) and advertisements that were under performing. If you read this blog in Google Reader hit Command-V and take a look at our new paint job. By the way you can find me many other places around the web. To see a list of such haunts head to: oliverchesler.com

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on August 3, 2009 at 5:04 am, filed under Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

18 Responses to “Welcome to the redesigned Wire to the Ear.”

1. Looks really great! Hope you start posting more often again soon, your writing is missed!

2. greg says:

fyi: i am getting a flash security error. (might only show up with the flash developer’s version for debugging installed). here is:

SecurityError: Error #2122: Security sandbox violation: LoaderInfo.content: http://www.sonicstate.com/video/hd/HDplayer.swf cannot access http://flashharry.sonicftp.com/vid_thumbs/lims09_shadow_3products00000002.jpg. A policy file is required, but the checkPolicyFile flag was not set when this media was loaded.
    at flash.display::LoaderInfo/get content()
    at HDplayer_fla::MainTimeline/onThumbImgLoaded()

3. greg says:

oh, and other than that i like the new design. quite in your face.

4. Kurt Lorenz says:

Congrats on the new look. Nice job.

5. 1440x900 says:

BIG…..FONTS! …AND SHIT. O_O

6. Wicked Sushi says:

Looks pretty cool, I’m digging the re-design!

7. doc says:

i like in fact we just had recent helvetica discussion as it was not on my pc and our last flyer. i will say the subject lines are really big if you could drop it a size or two it my making easier on the brain a little bit intense.

• Simon says:

I’ve got rubbish vision, so the clarity in the new design is great. The new colours are bold, the use of space is appealing. I agree with Doc about the headings being over-large: even tho’ my browser was set nearly 1000px high, when first loading the new site I couldn’t see any article text and thought you’d been replaced entirely by advertising. I find the top banner similarly distracting.

the content looks great tho :-)

8. Gianpaolo says:

Hi Oliver, new theme is very cool!!!

9. lowlife says:

It certainly is easy to read, not sure how I like it yet though.. it’s just so different.

10. Oliver Chesler says:

Thanks everyone for the comments.

11. Rattmouth says:

I agree with Doc about the post titles being too big. I’d recommend dropping them from 4.65em to about 3.2em. Whatever it takes to get all of your titles on 2 lines at the most.

Other than that, I appreciate the design’s bold feel and high contrast.

12. Andre says:

Hi Oliver, it seems something messed up your new font sizes. On my Mac, not even the site banner and first headline and teaser fit on a 22 inch monitor! For reasonable font sizes I need to decrease it once (command minus) and then still the headlines are huuuge and the site is extremely difficult to read.

The styles are fine, but IMO you need to review the sizes.

13. Colin says:

Generally I like the redesign although the dead space at the top seems a bit of a waste. The user needs to drag down before they can see any content.

One easy solution:

• Good idea. I was playing around with the space above the blue header and wasn’t happy if it didn’t equal the side white space but your idea is good… I’m going to get to that this weekend. Thanks.