Retro vs Future audio producing technique videos.

Here’s two videos that both help you make music with hardware. One is based on 1970′s tech and the other is pure 2009. What’s more lust worthy? A green lit Minimoog Voyager or an iPhone with polyphonic velocity sensitive keys controlling Ableton and more?

“The MF-101 Low Pass Filter’s ENV OUT Control Voltage makes a number of amazing Rhythmic Modulation techniques possible. This video shows some of these applications in a Dance Music setting. This technique is not limited to Dance Music. The applications are as endless as your imagination.” – MoogMusicInc

MSA Remote + VDMX + Ableton Live
from Memo Akten on Vimeo.

“MSA Remote is a remote control application for iPhone & iPod Touch that sends OSC messages over the wifi network. This allows you to control any OSC supporting applications such as Max/MSP/Jitter, PureData, Reaktor, VDMX, vvvv, Resolume, Quartz Composer etc. In this video, OSCulator is routing the OSC (& TUIO) messages coming from MSA Remote to midi and forwarding to Ableton Live and VDMX simultaneously. Nothing is done in post, the same signal is controlling both audio and video. At the beginning of the video you can see the polyphonic velocity sensitive keys in action (yes, the harder you hit the keys, the louder the sound – works equally well when the iphone is laid on a table), and later on the faders, triggers and multitouch tuio-pad. Should be in the app store soon: www.memo.tv/msaremote_for_iphone” – Memo Akten

I like you so you can have both set ups but for fun answer me this: Which set up would you rather have?

1. The Moog set-up, hands down.

2. the moog setup, for sure!

3. even though I reveiced my ableton live 8 copy today… the moog setup for sure :)

4. I’d hold off for one of them multi touchscreen geegaws coming out soon.
    I’d take a Jup 6 any day over the Moog..thats just me though.

5. Nice idea. I’d pick the Moog setup of the two any day. Not comparing these two exact setups in particular, the feel of a real instrument is still really important to me. I don’t think that ITB composing is really there soundwise either, even if it’s been getting closer and closer for every year.

6. Original Moog setup, but only if I can get a 2009 sequencer and MIDI to CV converter to go with it. If not the 2009 computer-iPhone setup seems more usable. Plus you can save your songs.

7. erm, being the developer of the above MSA Remote application, I can safely say…. the Moog setup anyday! (especially if combined with this http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vidsynth/scanimat/scanimat.htm )

1. Thanks for the reply… nice software you wrote!

8. MOOG hands-down for me…