Costco Sheds as sound isolation rooms?

Costco Shed

Right before I went to sleep last night I was in bed reading the Tape-op forum on my iPhone. There was an interesting discussion about using Costco sheds as isolation rooms. It seems I am always building a new project studio and without a doubt the most difficult problem in the process is sound isolation and treatment. Truthfully, if you have a large budget there’s no real issue at all (Isn’t that always the case?). The best way to do the job right is build a room in a room, fill it with bass traps, absorption and diffusion. If you do it correctly and also want it to look pretty your talking about a $30,000+ job.

Whisper Room

Considering a Whisper Room or Vocal Booth brand room will run you $8,000 or more for any decent size could a Costco Shed for $2,000 be a real alternative? My own opinion is probably no. By the time you add the additional sound proofing you would need to bring it on par with something like a Whisper Room or proper built room in a room I think your price will be high enough it won’t be worth it. To top it off it’s going to certainly be ugly and in many cases it will smell like rubber, plastic and resin.

So what do you think? Is there a certain Costco or BJs or Home Depot pre-fabricated shed that could do the trick?

Read the Tape-op thread: Costco prefab storage shed..instant studio

1. My wife and I have been looking for a new apartment in NYC as we need something with a bit more space to fit my small studio along with the rest of our lives. We saw a place last weekend that was far too small but had a huge outdoor space . We briefly wondered aloud if a shed like this might fit the bill to hold the studio out on the deck.

Luckily we quickly came to our senses, but it was a gorgeous apartment. Oh the things apartment hunting in NY can do to you.

2. Ack, I don’t know if I’d like to be in one of these things for an extended vocal recording session. As Oliver hinted at, the new plastic and rubber fumes would send me into a fever dream.

3. On the other hand, that might be just what you need to get that perfect take.

4. I think odors are an issue as most of these sheds stay closed all the time. Used in a studio you’d actually leave it open at night and the smell would probably fade away in a couple of months.

More problematic IMO would be the inherent bass resonance of the hollow plastic walls. And the overall cost & time to put proper sound proofing.

5. Well, if you are a professional, go with a proper Vocal Booth or Whisper Room or whatever. Just spend the money, it is not that much if that is how you make your living. (not only that, it most likely will last you a long time and has a high resale value).

But if you are not a professional, why not just find a nice quiet room to record in? I have heard albums recorded in people’s living rooms that sounded just fine. Especially if you are talking about electronic music or experimental music that isn’t pure acoustic instruments.

I think these kinds of ideas are popular among musicians as opposed to other professions, because a lot of “professional” musicians aren’t really professionals.

6. from the point of view of the average broke as artist…you guys sound like you’re either rich or spoiled pros. I would kill for a cheap solution to building a sound isolation room. A place where I could sit and mix and master without my neighbor calling the cops…oh my god…I think I just…nm. You guys are worried about smells?! Good lord. You obviously live beautiful complaint lacking lives.