Daptone Records hit by thieves.

Daptone Records

Last September I did a post titled, “A look at Daptone Records Studio in Bushwick.“. They are a great label and studio who keeps a candle brightly lit for pure analog recordings. Unfortunately some hard news came my way today:

“Friends and associates,

As you may have heard through the grapevine by now, Daptone was broken into last night. Unfortunately, there was a lot of equipment (mics, pre-amps, monitors, turntables, guitars, amps, computers, etc.) stolen and damaged. It is going to take us a while to go through everything and take full stock of what was stolen, and we are not supposed to touch anything until the cops come back to collect fingerprints so we can only guess what’s missing from some mic drawers and cabinets.

And, no, we did not have insurance. We had been shopping around with different companies earlier this month but had not signed a check, so nothing was insured. We are working on replacing the gate in front, installing an alarm system, and getting insurance, but it is President’s day so it’s not going as quickly as we would have liked.

Nydia’s computer was stolen (which wasn’t backed up) and the modems/ phone system was ripped out, so we’ll be relatively out of commission for a few days.

I would like to ask for everyone’s help first in keeping an eye out for all of our stuff showing up on ebay/craigslist/local music shops, and secondly (and more realistically) keeping an eye out for good deals on headphones, mics, pre-amps, etc. I could really use a heads up on any kind of studio package for sale or studio equipment to be possibly bought or borrowed as soon as possible. We have a session scheduled for Friday to lay down some music for (I know this sounds surreal) Rod Stewart, and I’m going to have to get the studio running by then. I know I’m going to need to find headphones, cables, mics, and pre-amps by then. I’m not sure what else yet.” – Gabriel Roth, Daptone

I’m actually building my new studio in Manhattan and spent $2500 on steel doors and another $1900 on the alarm/surveillance system. I know that money and the moola going to insurance is well spent. For a list of tips every studio owner (large and small) should check click this: Secure your recording studio from thieves. Remember if someone breaks in and your inside: Shoot to kill!

For a list of what was stolen from Daptone: click here

1. man that’s horrible :(
    i have to say though, when i watched the video you posted last year, i could only help but think that i hope those guys have great security, and it just didn’t look like that type of facility.

these days a lot of big artists are getting hit up and it’s just sad. BT is a good example – with like two or three robberies during his career so far.

as for securing, yeah it’s tough but i’m assuming that one of the best lines of defense is working in a commercial space which has a security guard at the front desk.

the unfortunate part about alarm systems is it can take a really long time for any response to show up.

i guess this is all a big +1 for digital software taking over the studio, but obviously with things like mics and tape decks it’s just not possible to be all digital and sound as good as dap tones.

2. Books & Backpack February 17, 2009 at 6:20 pm

As always, I suspect Rod Stewart.

3. That sucks so bad. I’m sure Gabriel will ge great tones coming out of that studio anyway, but I guess he’ll have to get back to his “shitty is pretty” days.

4. This is terrible news. I hope they find the thieves and more importantly the equipment.

5. Man….i just wished it happened here in Rio de Janeiro, then i´d call my homies and we´d search and get all your equipment back to you, and brake all arms and legs we´d have to!!
    sometimes it happens here in Brazil, with any kind of artist, big or small.
    but don´t you worry guys, sooner than you think these gang of shitheads will try to sell your stuff and then… BANG!!! their heads will be rolling on the streets….
    all luck for you at Daptone!

6. That 3rd floor window in the building next door might be suspect. Plenty of times back in Queens when I lived on the 3rd floor I’d climb in through the neighbors window when I lost my keys, when they weren’t home I’d spider man off a fire escape into my kitchen window. Yes, I was robbed using the same method. My second robbery was in the same place..inside job..ex roomates.

They need to rule out all insiders. How well do they know the ppl next door? They can smile to your face while they rob you behind your back. They need to watch the Buy and Sell magazine, Loot (if its still around), pawn shops, and yes Guitar Centers and Sam Ash as well as other smaller music stores..even the ones in LI and Jersey. ALOT of musicians in BK, a visitor from out of town could’ve hit it while just vistiting and went back to say for example Jersey city or LI to hock at the local pawn, GC, Sam Ash..etc.

Still…Million dollar studio in Bushwick w/ no alarm..smart as a box of rox.

7. Those 2nd floor windows look easy to getting into with those 1st floor gates and overhang just screaming “I’m your elevator boost”.

8. I am more worried about the innocent guy who is inevitably going to be accused of being a thief when he happens to sell his equipment on Craig’s List at the wrong time, than I am for folks with a lot of money and a lot of very expensive equipment who didn’t bother to buy insurance or alarm service.

9. Shoot to Kill?
    Are you serious?

1. Well no… shoot to wound would be better.

10. I fear these sort of clean-you-out robberies are only going to get worse due to the Bush Legacy Economy.