Sunday Sounds: The car of the future.

Aptera Motors 2e

The car you see above is the Aptera 2e all electric three-wheeled vehicle. It get’s the equivalent of 200 mpg, will cost less than $45k and will be available this year. It goes from 0-60 in less than 10 seconds and is comfy cruising at over 80 mph. Google is a major investor in Aptera.

So it’s April 2010 and you live in southern California. You head to the Aptera dealership and pick up the keys to your new 2e. You put your seat-belt on and reach for the radio. What song do you pick for your first drive?

My choice is clearly The Title Music from a Clockwork Orange by Wendy Carlos:

I want the future I dreamed of as a child…

Buy this song at: Amazon

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on January 25, 2009 at 8:37 am, filed under music and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

12 Responses to “Sunday Sounds: The car of the future.”

1. ortho says:

oh but i’d prefer a Durango 95…y’know a real horrorshow.

The Aptera is certainly a bold design though. Perhaps it will swim and fly as well? I think it looks like an underwater helicopter.

2. Marc says:

If it’s all electric… Then it gets 200 miles to the gallon of what?
    Gallon of batteries?

My song would have to be the theme from Mork & Mindy.

3. JD says:

Crazy car! I think i’d have to pop in Airlane by Gary Numan.

4. Woops Marc… I meant to say “the equivalent of 200 mpg”… I changed fixed it thanks.

5. fsoup says:

i choose Pierre Henry – PsychĂ© Rock Fatboy Slim Remix for first ride :)

but tomorow i will change my opinion :)

6. Rex Rhino says:

Making a safe and efficient electric car isn’t the problem. The problem is changing years and years of government regulation that under the guise of ‘safety’ or whatnot, have tried to increase employment by requiring that people drive labor-intensively manufactured vehicles that employ lots more to maintain their overly complicated failure-prone mechanical engines.

Unless they figure out a way to make these things as labor intensive to manufacture as conventional cars, the UAW definitely isn’t going to go for this. Unless they can figure out a way to make this thing require oil-change style regular maintenance, mechanics and dealers and auto-repair-chains aren’t going to go for this. And if repairing this is as simply as replacing the electric motors or battery when the touch screen gives you a warning, people aren’t going to need to buy a new car every few years, that will piss off the auto companies.

So don’t expect to drive any visionary electric vehicals anytime in the future! Therefore, my song is Fluid Leak by Dynarec.

7. saw says:

Rex Rhino: re UAW.. these aren’t going to be built in detroit are they? what about the Tesla motors car? if you haven’t noticed, detroit is floundering and looking for bailouts. i think the next wave of autos will come out of silicon valley and i’m fine with that. detroit dropped the ball on the electric car in the 90s and toyota/honda ran with it. so, someone has to get things back on track in the USA and come up w/some new ideas.. i don’t see that happening in detroit. i’m content to have a bunch of nerds build me a car… to hell w/detroit.. let them be pissed off.. it’s their own stupid fault.

8. Joe says:

The cash is weighting, give me one now! I think your choice of track is spot on, i cant think of a better one off the top of my head… hmmm..

9. They are testing these beauties across the street from me. Pretty impressive to see. I was also lucky enough to meet a girl who is an electrical engineer for the Tesla car last time I was in SF. I was able to ride in it, and wow. The thing was crazy fast through the streets of SF.

10. Schwarzkopff says:

it will be “Born this way” by the Horrorist

;-)

11. Jeremiah says:

From their website:
    “Okay, almost time for bed. You can be proud of yourself because the 100 miles you have driven since you unplugged this morning only cost you about $0.50.”

I’m gonna bet this thing doesn’t get 200 miles per charge. So, each charge is the equivalent of .5 gallons of gas.

100 miles, then an overnight recharge? They paint this as “lifestyle”, but I don’t think the on-demand driving public is going to accept this too well.

Maybe neat for small, hyper-local fleets (meter readers, etc), but no way are these viable for ‘normal’ day to day operations.

The first model years are going to be VERY expensive to maintain until enough people buy them to bring 3rd party parts to market.

It is still much more environmentally sensible to buy a 25 year old fossil-fuel guzzler than one of these.