Audio samples from the Griffin iTalk for iPhone.

I’ve wanted to pick up one of those little flash audio recorders for a while. You know the ones such as the popular Zoom H2 and pretty looking Sony PCM-D50. I never got around to grabbing one and I’m really glad. It turns out my iPhone makes a pretty sweet recorder.

I downloaded the Griffin iTalk app from the iTunes store and recorded a few clips. iTalk records AIFF files using the iPhone’s built in mic. You hit a nice large red record button and it displays a green “recording” symbol and an input meter. If you pause and start recordings and they remain in the same file. You can name and add notes to your files on the phone. To transfer the recordings to your Mac you install a small program called iTalk Sync which once launched detects your iPhone. A few clicks and you can drag the files from the iTalk Sync window to your desktop. Everything works smooth and easy but how does it sound? I will let you be the judge:

My mother tells me about her day at work:

My step father Doug talks about the weather:

On the check out line at ShopRite (a supermarket):

Some vocals I recorded with Julie for a book reading. I added a gate, compressor and eq on this one:

You can download the 24bit wavs: click here

The main “wow” factor here for me is the fact that I have my phone with me everywhere I go so therefore I now have a neat recorder everywhere I go too!

So what do you think?

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on December 10, 2008 at 6:08 pm, filed under apple, iPhone, sounds and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

15 Responses to “Audio samples from the Griffin iTalk for iPhone.”

1. inteliko says:

And they still cant get a REAL dj app goin for it!!?? Saw one for windows mobile.

2. Kent Sandvik says:

Good quality from the built-in mic, indeed! Otherwise that would be the only weak point with this solution. Then again mobility is the key when doing field recordings.

3. John Holdun says:

Wow, that quality is surprisingly great. I need an iPhone.

4. pontus bornold says:

Hi sweet ap any idea about syncing it with a pc?

Nice with some sweet family talk, looking forward to Julafton #xmas

5. Max says:

I am using iRecorder right now, but don’t have such easy access to the files. Will try iTalk tonight!

6. Joe says:

This is really good timing. I’v lituraly just been wondering about the recording quality of the iphone/ipod touch. No excuse now!

7. Sorry pontus Im not sure about PC Syncing… there are quite a few iPhone recording apps. I’m sure the Evernote app which records some audio will PC sync.

8. Manic Audio Kinetics says:

Very cool! Can you use one of the i-pod line-in adapters and record a stereo signal from a mixer for example?

Also, you have 24-bit files – we’re those res’d up from 16bit or can you actually record 24bit native on the i-touch?

Interesting stuff!

9. Dimitri Beatslov says:

I need that app your mother is talking about , “you talk into it and it does what you tell it to do”

10. She was talking about Vlingo. One of her co-workers had it installed on his iPhone: http://www.vlingo.com/

11. Dimitri Beatslov says:

thanks man , haha so funny to talk “slang” to your iPhone

12. Bill says:

Very cool!

You convinced me to buy it and I’m glad I did. The portability and always-with-me aspects of the iPhone make it perfect for this. In fact, I’d give up some quality if I had to to get those features.

pontus, I’m on a PC, and the sync software iTalk has for the PC works great. Also, I dealt with their Support folks, and they were very responsive, so if you do have a problem (PC version is in beta), I’m betting they’ll be good at making it work.

13. pontus bornold says:

Love that buying it right away! Thanks a heap for the lovely blogg, looking forward to develop my iphone skills along with you guys =)

14. narkoba says:

A colleague of mine is using Discover to transfer files from his iphone to his desktop over WIFI. You can also transfer files to other iphones etc…

I did not test this, because I don’t have an iphone. :-) But you can always try this app to see what’s it about.

Check it out at: http://appshopper.com/productivity/discover