Is music really important?

Yesterday I was upstairs on the phone with Social Security. I was finding out if I had to go in person to their office to get a replacement card or if I could do it by mail. My wife and I need the physical cards in order to get the new health insurance we want. We had full coverage in Germany which ended the day we were no longer residents in the country (6 days ago). There wasn’t a way to get new coverage in the USA before I was here. I figured I should get the new insurance right away because you never know what could happen.

I was on the phone listening happily to the Social Security automated phone system in English when I heard my wife yelling at Milo (Boston Terrier). After a few minutes it got really distracting so I walked downstairs to discover a horror scene. Blood was everywhere and Julie was trying to stand up near the sink. Apparently something pretty bad happened but I was clueless to what. She was crying, covered in sweat and blood and was starting to pass out. I noticed two incredibly deep large cuts on her hand. My next glance was at the kitchen counter where I saw the Braun Hand Blender in a few pieces. Clearly this piece of crap decided to chop more than vegetables this day.

I picked Julie up and into the car we took off. The freezing air woke her up and within a few minutes we arrived at the hospital. This was a bad enough accident they took her right inside. The bleeding was fully stopped, and an IV was put into her arm with some well needed Percocet mixed into the hydration fluids. The emergency room physician poked Julie’s fingers and with luck she felt all the pricks and pins. She was able to open and close her hand. However, when the doctor told her to resist his finger when pushing her thumb closed she was barely able to comply. It was clear she cut a tendon and a hand surgeon would be needed.

The hand surgeon, Dr. Troy Callahan arrived about an hour later. He was one serious cool fellow. Tall, skinny, young and dressed in a nice suit. He didn’t bother to joke around and just proceeded to lay out his tools. Hand surgery is delicate stuff and he had some wicked gear. Out of a large leather bag he pulled out a wooden box of his own personal steel tools. He also had some crazy looking magnifying eye glasses. I guess tendons are pretty thin and hard to see. He worked silently focused repairing Julie’s hand for about two hours (photo on right). Anyone who watched him create her cast with those bandages you dip in water could see this man was a real artist.

In the end she cut two tendons and a knuckle cap. She will need to wear the cast for about six weeks and then need hand therapy for three months. What’s your guess this bill is going to cost? Somewhere between $8,000 – $30,000? Whatever the price it’s worth it. That said, I talked to the hospital administration and explained my circumstance and they have some ways they can help me with the bill (if I qualify).

There no music in emergency rooms. There was no music all day. When we got back home and she was in bed we put the television on. A few stupid commercials came on. Happy retarded jingles compressed to the max shot out at us. I was never more happy to be home listening to them. Music signaled some return to safeness. Yesterday was just a small hand injury. Music is still important.

Photo credit: shell belle

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on December 9, 2008 at 7:49 am, filed under Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

21 Responses to “Is music really important?”

1. .apostle. says:

I’m so sorry your wife had to go through that.. I hope her hand heals quickly and she’s back to her normal routine soon. As for the bill, if you haven’t thrown it away, I’d box up the broken blender and contact an attorney. The least they (Braun) could do would be to cover your medical expenses.

Good luck.

2. G. says:

Man,i’m so sorry either.
    Please wish Julie all the best and to get better as soon as possible.
    Of course,if i can do something,you have just to let me know.

3. dMz says:

Oh God. Sorry to hear this… I wish you both all the best!

4. locust says:

I wish Julie the best in her recovery, and the both of you. Music IS important. and that hospital bill is ridiculous. :( sorry, coming from Canada with universal health care, that’s appalling.

5. Marco says:

Hi Oliver
    I hope your wife is feeling better by now and I am very sorry about the accident.
    Me too had some kind of an accident with a blender blade falling on my naked foot, so after that I banned all types of blender off my house!
    be well you 2!

6. doc says:

oj jees. i am very sorry to hear about the accident talk about insane. I hope your wife is ok and heals quickly, i am not much of a run out and sue type of guy but in that instance i would at least talk to attorney, if it was defective unit.
    Man this country is ridiculous with medical bills. Just ridiculous.
    best if luck with everything.

7. Brad says:

That’s terrible! I hope she feels better soon.

8. marcus says:

i wish julie a speedy recovery!!!!!!!!!! all the best to the pair of you.

9. Statikfire says:

Which one of your products has the highest margin? I’d be happy to buy some Horrorist gear to aide with the medical bills. Also, do you have a preferred retailer?

THX,
    Jason D // Chicago

10. ortho says:

sorry to hear about y’alls crazy ordeal. Do you know how it happened exactly? I have one of those handheld blenders, too. (scared to touch it now)

11. Vergel E says:

Talk about focusing in on the things that matter most! Definitely as a friend and an artist I wish you guys the best in healing and recovering… As hokey as it sounds… there’s something to be said about staying positive and hopeful and focusing on healing.

Also as a Canadian with universal health care I have no idea the costs of such an ordeal… That being said (like Jason D) I’d also like to join in on purchasing some TTC merch. If you’ve got a special “Welcome back to North America kit” or plan on releasing something limited edition…. definitely mark me down for one.

12. Marc says:

Hope everything is better now.
    I’m an expert cutting myself by accident with blenders and kitchen stuff.

All the best.

13. Cornerman says:

What a story, i hope she get’s well soon.

14. don says:

Hey sorry to hear about your wife. can you explain what happened during the accident? I have the same blender from braun. anything i should avoid doing. other than touching the blade?

15. Thanks for all the well wishes… Julie’s Vicodin is working hard: she has been yapping on the phone all day so I suspect all is well!

16. Kent Sandvik says:

That was sad, hopefully she recovers quickly. My wife hurt her hand an hour ago due to stumbling over my son’s backpack. This is the month when a lot of accidents happen due to all the stress.

17. Crazy Football Foot says:

“coming from Canada with universal health care, that’s appalling.”

Well, coming from Canada, here is how it would go down.

You would go to the hospital and they would sew you up, but you would have to wait several weeks to see the specialist. Then, when you saw the specialist, they would schedule you in for surgery in 6 months. In that time, you wife’s hand would have deteriorated to the point where she would never regain full use, and she would be addicted to painkillers in the meantime.

But, yeah, it would be free.

Anyway, enough of my bitter ranting about my health care. I am glad everything turned out OK in the end and wish your wife a speedy recovery!

18. raytrace says:

that’s terrible news man- hope your wife recovers quickly – we have one of those super-hardcore KitchenAid blenders and I’m always getting paranoid my wife’s gonna have a mishap with it :s

btw on a total side note – is Milo named after The Descendents? – I once knew someone who named their son Milo after them…

19. Koichi Sanchez says:

So very sorry to hear of your wife’s terrible accident, and on a happier note, happy to hear that she’s chatting on the phone and that life, albeit with therapy and meds, will slowly return to normal.

Isn’t it amazing how the even the most ridiculous music can sometimes bring a much needed calm to a crazy world?

Best wishes and here’s to a speedy recovery. =)

20. thomas says:

Sorry to hear that, I cut a tendon last year and it took a while to heal, after I had the operation though it was pretty much fine if a bit of a pest.

21. Heather says:

Oh, awful. Hope she gets better quickly. My father-in-law loves that kitchen gadget, along with his electric knife, etc. He’s a bit unsteady because of his Parkinson’s – I’m encouraging my mother-in-law to subtley retire said items. And hey, my fiance works in health insurance. Let me know if you want any advice on working through that end of things.