Sunday Sounds – Cabaret Voltaire “I Want You”

This was Cabaret Voltaire at their best. I just love the bubbling bass on this song. I just love the rich analog synth pad. I want a time machine.

“In 1978, Cabaret Voltaire signed to Rough Trade Records. With Rough Trade they released several highly acclaimed musically experimental singles and EPs, including Extended Play, Nag Nag Nag and Three Mantras, and albums such as The Voice of America in 1980 and the widely-hailed Red Mecca in 1981.” – Wikipedia.org

Where are they now? Check out their official website: www.brainwashed.com/cv/

via thegfantasymeadow

1. Thank you very much for the credit.
    This song is one of my favourite tunes of all times i think.
    I remember the first time i saw the videoclip on TV i was really amazed by everything.
    Personally i like the way,harmonically speaking,bass and vocals match with that string synth which come out sometimes.
    Maybe because those create togheter chords which are not typicall for this kind of music,maybe because the timing.
    But everything is really cool.

2. yesss!
    there’s an amazing live version of this song on youtube also;

and a great book about them called ‘industrial evolution’ by mick fish.

3. Sensoria is also pretty good: http://is.gd/aD3g . Their video was well done for that time. I have the 12″ still somewhere up in the attic.

4. marcus, i was in the middle of being blown away with the live version when i noticed the tassels!

I also second the video for “Sensoria”… Kinda reminds me of “Shake the Disease” by DM with those crazy camera pans.

5. yeah ortho! maybe oliver will bring back tassles for his live shows ;-) LOL

6. I dont really think this song has aged well. I always thought their best was Dont Argue, esp the remix, though much of it is probably due to the fantastic Adrian Sherwood/ Keith LeBlanc production.

Like Kent said, this is another 1 that has a very good video for the time.

7. you’re right DONT ARGUE is fantastic and new to me. At first my thought was….errm synth horns?… but by the end you’ll be sold.

8. I heard this record (“The Covenant, The Sword, And The Arm Of The Lord”) shortly after it came out. It sounded totally different from anything I had previously heard. Bought it, listened to it over and over. Really proto-industrial, with the live drums+distortion, drum machines+distortion, live bass, and simple synths. Much of it played by hand, and very funky.

I really dug “Micro-Phonies” as well, and wish someone would re-issue “Code” or at least put it up on the Internet.

Their older stuff still doesn’t do much for me. And while I liked some of Richard Kirk’s ambient stuff, their newer stuff hasn’t done much for me either.