Digital 80s drum machines from Puremagnetik.

If I had unlimited cash I would go onto eBay right now and buy every single drum machine I could find. The next best thing is a good sample collection. Puremagnetik has an interesting subscription model that delivers you monthly “Micropaks” of sounds all ready to go in Ableton Live. This month they hit my sweet spot with some nice 80s digital drum machine sets. Here what you get:

Korg DDD-1: A programmable drum machine from 1986. Includes 18 drum sounds with a famous 12-bit crunch. Alesis HR-16: One of Alesis’s first drum machines manufactured in 1987. Includes over 40 unique drum and percussion sounds. Kawai R50: Legendary 12-bit sound from 1988! Includes a selection of over 20 dirty drum and percussion sounds. Sound: A very rare Soviet era drum machine manufactured by Zhitomir electronic factory in 1989. Includes sampled percussion sounds with a tightly compressed flavor. – puremagnetik.com

For more info including a video walkthrough and audio clips: click here

1. Just signed up for the basic subscription. Anyone else have one? I like the idea of a subscription based service in theory, we’ll see how it works practically. New sounds are always great, especially these days as I find myself skipping the hardware more often than not.

2. Re: Drum machines and samples.
    Does your love of these things stem from the “physicalness” of programming drum machines, or from the sounds they make? I have hundred and hundreds of samples of drum machines found on DVDs and online over the years and frankly, after a while, a snare sounds like a snare. And anything I might not like about a particular snare seems easy to fix with a little plug-in magic. If I want a bit-crushed sound, add the bit crusher. Etc.
    The point being I get the fetish for the machines, and I agree, but if we’re talking samples in Live, I can’t think of any reason why I need yet another set of 80s drum machines sounds when already, for instance, Ableton has a pretty nice drum machines pack with the 909s and 808s and more.

Second question: Anyone have any thoughts on the Electribes as drum machines?

3. Hi Brian. I think because I was a teenager in the 80s I like the sounds. I do want the hardware but if not then samples. Usually when I use samples I keep them pure as in try it make it sounds like the real thing once would have. Hardware lust? Yeah… the lights, buttons, feel. Sound nosalgia… got that too so good sample sets I like. I do agree that most of these have been covered in previous bundles but for newbies this is good stuff. Sometimes newer sets were recorded better too. About the Electribes… nice example of hardware I would like to own but I wouldn’t bother with the sample sets only because they don’t have a personal meaning to me as for example they don’t appear on the old music I love. But I do they they will be future classics…hmm don’t make me buy some please… oh no… ebay… help!

4. Oliver, my first album I bought was Duran Duran Rio when I was 14 in 1982, and i didn’t buy anything with real drums well into my 20s. This is why I love synths in general (hey, I can make Yazoo sounds with Reason!).
    So I love the sounds too but I guess I’m not a purist much. I remember reading an interview with Jason Amm (Solvent) where he seemed to have a great disdain for digital emulations of analog synths and claimed that he can always tell the difference between the Arturia Moogs and the real thing. I’m not riding that train.
    thanks

5. US economy is getting gaped, I’ll go with Goldbaby please.

I sold my first gen electribes …. big mistake.

One hand workflow…the old Electribes you can do alot of stuff with one hand and they sounded a ton better than the other grooveboxes. You didnt have to menu dig to do stuff either.

Looking back I wonder who writes the Grooveboxes and Electribes preset patterns?

So many songs over the years I’ve recognized right away because they jacked Electribe or Rm1x presets.

6. Or in Daftpunks case Trinity/Triton presets (Around The World)