Who are the world’s best-selling music artists?

I got into an argument with a friend today about how many records Nine Inch Nails have sold to date. He said they were not in the echelon of artists who sold the most mucho wax and plastic. I was surprised to discover he was totally correct. Wikipedia was my teacher as usual. Take a look at this chart:

So besides the fact that Trent and co. are no where to be found on the list there were some interesting surprises. Does anyone know who Alla Pugacheva is? Apparently she is one of Russia’s biggest acts and sits with the the sales numbers of the Madonna, Cher, and Celine Dion. I was also happily surprised to see my fav band Depeche Mode high up on the list in the realm of Genesis, George Michael, Dolly Parton and even the Eagles. Who knew!

So looking at that list is there any band/artist you are shocked to see have sold so many records? Is there anyone you thought were super big time and they are not on the list?

photo credit: maol

1. I kind of expected to see The Horrorist between Gloria Estefan and James Brown, frankly. What the hell?

2. Yeah there must be a mistake. Some edit Wikipedia for me ok? Brian is correct I’m right above Estefan! :)

3. alla pugacheva!
    got turned on to the freak phenomena
    of new russian folk pop in berlin @ russen disko night,
    truly the most insane branch of popular music on the planet.
    great stuff, right clickers!

4. nice to see the pet shop boys on there.

5. I’m more impressed with the photo on this page. looks like heaven to me. where is that place ? and why have i never been in a record store like that.

6. Would’ve never thought that a-ha has so far outsold so many popular artists. I mean, the video was cool and all, but…

(just kidding, all you a-ha fans out there)

7. I am impressed at how many records people like a-ha, or the Village People, have sold. I guess I underestimate how truly popular they must have been at the time.

8. jonathan – its Amoeba Records http://www.amoeba.com/

They’re in California. There’s 3 but this one looks like the one in San Fran..I was just there in August (visiting, I live in New Jersey) and I will say it could be the greatest store I’ve even entered in my life. The girl i was there visiting kept saying “Um how much longer are we going to be here?”

9. I was a little surprised to see Eurythmics above Guns N’ Roses.

10. they totally forgot the Rolling Stones..

11. Very surprised to see that a-ha’s bigger than Nat King Cole, Barbra Streisand, Bruce Springsteen, Duran Duran, James Brown, The Police & The Spice Girls.

Call me skeptical & somebody edit the page to pop The Horrorist in there with a-ha.

12. Well, I know they made most of their money from touring and not from record sales, but how can the Rolling Stones not be up there? Something fishy about this list.

13. Oh dear no Rolling Stones! Here’s proof that Wikipedia can only be a starting point for research and not the last word. Maybe NIN should be on there after all?

14. Yea the rolling stones have sold an estimated 200 millions, so they should be in the list.
    As far as I know NIN are more into the 20 millions area.

15. While I love Wikipedia and consult it often, I wouldn’t take it the definitive word on a topic like this. I’m a huge NIN fan, but I wouldn’t expect NIN to gross in the top sales range. Looking at the list, there isn’t a lot of edgy music represented. Artists with long careers or pop stars who inspire adoration of young teens seem to have a better chance of high sales.

16. Yeah also it’s worth pointing out that time adds overall sales numbers so it would be surprising if newish acts were on there.

17. Interestingly there are only 2 artists post-2000 mentioned on that page. Spice Girls and Linkin Park.