Spectrasonics Power Synth Omnisphere released.

The massively hyped new software synth from Eric Persing’s Spectrasonics has been released. It’s called Omnisphere and I like that it’s a hybrid sample and/or synth machine. In fact this baby comes with over 40GB of content. I want to spend a weekend creating a song “limiting” myself to only Omnisphere. I would maybe even use just one instance (it’s 8 part multitimbral).

“After many years of development, Spectrasonics is proud to release the brand new flagship virtual instrument Omnisphere. This epic ‘Power Synth’ breaks completely new sonic ground by combining a wide variety of hybrid realtime synthesis techniques, an epic library of remarkable ‘Psychoacoustic’ sounds, and many innovative features that have never been seen before in any hardware or software synthesizer. The new instrument is the first to be based on Spectrasonics newly developed STEAM Engine.”  – spectrasonics.net

The first thing you should do is head over to Spectrasonics and watch the awesome 7 part video episodes they have online. Then prepare to depart with $499/€379!

Most of us have a good stock of software and hardware sound sources. Do you think Omnisphere offers something new?

More info on the Spectrasonics site: click here

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on September 15, 2008 at 1:58 pm, filed under plug-ins, sounds and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

9 Responses to “Spectrasonics Power Synth Omnisphere released.”

1. inteliko says:

Musicians have too many toys already, how about focusing on theory and arrangement.
    I didn’t give a fuck that the builders of my home didn’t use all Stanley tools.
    Maybe I’m wrong, ahhhh too many choices..just like with vst’s.

2. inteliko says:

40 Gb is FAR from limited. Spend a weekend with the Waldorf edition vst pack.

3. Kent Sandvik says:

It looks nice, but I will upgrade my Camel Software Chameleon to Alchemy when it’s shortly released ($129 upgrade) and that will keep me busy, it is very similar to Omnisphere, but might have some more additive synthesis tricks.

Otherwise, I’m over-saturated concerning synths, been playing with Logic’s EVB3 and EVP88 and it’s kind of fun to just think about playing skills and playability than sit and tweak filters.

4. Raytrace says:

the stuff with the lightbulb springs rolling around sounds well cool, but it’ll be a long time before I buyt it at that price (although no doubt it’s worth it). Yeh i definitely have way too much choice and way too much procrastination, so I should really cut myself off…

5. I agree with you guys. In a sense Omnisphere is “too much too late”. I own Stylus RMX but honestly rarely used it. It just seems like a fancy loop player for rock types. I guess what’s important is how it sounds and I will reserve any real judgement until I play with it.

Kent. I’ve noticed Alchemy too. I should have made this post about both of these being released. I check your site everyday so when you get it do a review (please!).

6. soundspirit says:

It’s another over hyped product. STEAM technology isn’t new because roland D50 worked on the same principle(“The first half of the secret was the invention of the technique now known as ‘sample and synthesis’, or S&S. Roland’s engineers had discovered that much of the information that we use to identify and categorise a sound is contained in its first few hundred milliseconds”). I think omnisphere is good if you are producing soundtracks for films(like atmosphere), but not that useful for electronic music in general. It’s another rompler with huge library and fx.

7. macha says:

Commercial american crap. Watch these videos. pfff it looks like your watching a tell sell channel. That fake smile just makes me feel manipulated.

8. Satchmo says:

UGH!
    Well, I dropped the $199 for the upgrade and I’ve spent a few days with it and so far I’ll have to say beware. I have a 3ghz xeon with 8gb RAM and with one instance alone with NOTHING else going on it’s eating up all my CPU. The sounds are mostly unusable noisy crap but there are a few jaw droppers. I’m not all that pleased with it’s RAM greed and it doesn’t replace Atmosphere as far as I’m concerned (although they assured me that all the Atmosphere sounds would be included, they are not.)
    It’s also crashed several times in just two days. I’d hold off if I had it to do over.

9. logomito says: