Vocal manipulation with Ableton Simplers.

Vocal manipulation with Ableton Simplers. from wiretotheear on Vimeo.

There are thousands of ways to mangle audio in weird and wild sound. Here’s a screencast of a trick I sometimes put to work. Here is the end result (4 samples are loaded in this player):

Here is the original sample I used:

The technique uses multiple Ableton Simplers in a Device Group. If your an Ableton wizard you will know this stuff  but if your not a regular user of Simpler and Macros you will learn something.

Sample credit: Incarnadine

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on August 8, 2008 at 12:40 am, filed under Ableton Live, plug-ins, sounds, video and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

11 Responses to “Vocal manipulation with Ableton Simplers.”

1. Nik says:

Thanks, Oliver, wonderful tutorial!

Btw, loading samples into Sampler opens up further sound design possibilities.

2. Nak says:

nice tnx!
    …but take it easy with those mousecliks :)

3. Click click! Growing up my father used get pissed at me for pushing buttons on the clicker non-stop.

4. Jacksin says:

Click click! Cool demo but rather depressing with all the “death” playback. Thanks though!

5. Yasha says:

Thank you very much! Very inspirational!

Actually, this inspired me to try the “tip & trick” on the puremagnetik site for using the Live 7 “slice to new midi track” feature to chop up a vocal sample. I recorded myself reading a short passage with a pause between word (to make it easier to identify individual words) and then set a warp marker at the start of each word. Next, I sliced to a new midi track with the setting “Create one slice per warp marker”. This filled up a drum rack with all the individual words, which gives me a lot to work with.

6. hector says:

GReat stuff, thanks for this tutorial

Cheers from Argentina

Hector Lopez

7. Adrian L. says:

Hi Oliver, thanks for the tutorial. I was trying to do this in both simpler AND sampler… but I couldn’t get the samples to play back for me! Could you help? Thank you.

8. Sure Adrian… what exactly are you have trouble with?

9. DJ Chima says:

How do you get such a good bottom end in your mouse click? Are you using a HP filter and some Tube OD?

JK, great tip, gotta try it out!

10. Miraja says:

You just made my day. Thank you.