How do you clean your recording studio?

When I was starting college I worked at The Gap in Greenwich, Connecticut. For those who don’t know The Gap is a nation (world) wide clothing store and Greenwich is one of the richest towns in the United States. The president of the entire company lived in Greenwich and would come into our store. He would show up without any warning which meant our store had to be spotless at all times. My manager would actually make me take sticky tape, get on my hands and knees and use it to pull lint and dirt out of the carpet in the dressing rooms! I also spent countless hours cleaning the glass, steel racks and folding giant walls of jeans.

I guess the intense retail store boot camp has stuck with me because I like to keep my studio ultra clean. I’m on a permanent war with those dust bunnies that collect near electric wires. For the floors, windows and furniture I use the usual chemical infused products with stupid names. However, for the equipment and screens I only use warm water and a soft cloth. This seems to be the conventional wisdom for what’s best. I used to buy canned air but I realized it’s not worth the price. I don’t smoke so I can make my own dam wind.

One product I love is Goo Gone which nicely gets rid of any sticker residue. Hmm what else? Oh yeah if some jerk tags your mailbox or metal door with a Sharpie nail polish remover gets it right off!

What do you use? Do you have any tips?

photo credits: CraftyGoat and kerim

1. I have 1 tip. I only use this 1 thing to get rid of every bit of dirt in my home studio……

MY GIRLFRIEND!! LOL

seriously no disrespect to you oliver but I am worse than useless at cleaning and I have a very nice gf who gives it the once over now and then.

2. Hah! I knew someone was going to say that!

3. ^^Hehehe – I was going to say “MY WIFE” to your recent post, about gear-lust!

So they’re good for snapping you out of buying gear you don’t need, *and* for cleaning the studio! :)

Seriously though, “iKlean” from any Apple store is a must-buy.

4. For gear and my computer i use eyeglass cleaner and a soft cloth . Eyeglass cleaner leaves no streaks or build up like water and evaporates super fast .

5. Acetone (nail polish remover) is indeed great for removing Sharpie. The reason it works is because acetone dissolves plastics, and sharpie ink happens to have some sort of plastic base. Some plastics are safe, so do a test patch before trying to pull sharpie off any of your plastic gizmos. I’ve melted a few things with acetone before.

Also, if you can’t find Goo Gone, try lighter fluid. Zippo lighter fluid (Naptha) works great for removing goopy residues, just like Goo Gone. It does stink though.

I use Armor All car wipes to clean my amps. The vinyl they cover amps and heads with can get really dusty and those wipes pull the dirt out of those deep cracks.

6. For me, it’s damp dusters only. I use Monster Screen Cleaner with a microfibre cloth on my computer screens, and that’s it. I try to avoid using cleaning products as much as possible!

7. For removing glue residue from tape, just use…. tape! it works great on cables and loads of other stuff…

8. I cannot say enough about a featherduster or The Swiffer Duster. Also, mad propz to the Mr. Clean Magic Sponge, which gets all kinds of residue off desks and synth keys.

Canned air is a necessity for keeping your computer’s components dust free.

I also have a Bissell cleaner that detaches so i can quickly vacuum the crevices behind desks/shelves, etc.

The BEST thing you can do for a studio, however, is *circulate the air!* So many studios have that stale smell of decay because they don’t move air around.

9. +1 on the swiffer duster!