Denon’s $499 cable vs Brilliant Pebbles.

This week a few blogs have mentioned Denon’s ridiculously priced $499 Ethernet cable. In fact one of my favorite cartoon strips User Friendly did a take on the subject: click here to read it Don’t we all know by now not to pay large sums of money for cables?

Made from high purity copper wire and high performance connection parts, the AK-DL1 will bring out all the nuances in digital audio reproduction from any of our Denon DVD players with the Denon Link feature. – www.usa.denon.com

This reminds me of the recent test at audioholics.com which pit a $60 Monster 1000 Cable vs a coat hanger. Guess which won?

The test was conducted. After 5 tests, none could determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire. Further, when music was played through the coat hanger wire, we were asked if what we heard sounded good to us. All agreed that what was heard sounded excellent, however, when A-B tests occured, it was impossible to determine which sounded best the majority of the time and which wire was in use. – audioholics.com

If you really want to improve your sound check out Machina Dynamica’s Brilliant Pebbles. These cost $129 but actually do make a real difference in your audio quality. You can see what they look like in the top photo of this post. Highly recommended.

This entry was written by Oliver Chesler, posted on June 20, 2008 at 4:36 am, filed under hardware, political, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

9 Responses to “Denon’s $499 cable vs Brilliant Pebbles.”

1. Malcolm says:

I really hope you were being sarcastic about the pebbles. Tell me you were, please…

“Don’t we all know by now not to pay large sums of money for cables”…when instead we can spend large sums of money on a plastic bag full of rocks.

2. andras! says:

you sir are my hero. being the owner of a nice linn amp with a NAD cd player and nice turntable, i have radioshack cables….yeah….
    i love the music branded ones….” this cable brings out the woody tone of jazz records”
    another great one is cd oil. where you put oil on the bottom of your albums and brings out a richer tone. i think science forgot these rejects at the bus stop…..
    hooray.

3. Josef Mandel says:

Well I was gonna spend a large sum outfitting my home studio with van den hul mk 3 hybrid interconnects. I really thought they would make a difference but after delving a little deeper into the subject I find theres a 50/50 split. 50% saying expensive cables really do make a difference, 50% saying no difference in $6 cables to $600 cables. I must admit ive got one $1 interconnect on 1 of my numark ttx1′s and one QED 2 about $30. I cannot tell a difference at all in any of my DJ mixes. What does anyone else think? Has anyone ever had the misforune of stumbling across a company called nordost site, WTF?? $2000 + for a plug. $6000 for speaker cables , seriously check it out. How are they in business?? I would like anyones advice on wether there is any audible difference between any of their cables

thanks

4. andras! says:

i bet the same people that buy that shit are wearing those “ionized” bracelets and are god fearing. humans are so stupid.

5. Come on guys.. Brilliant Pebbles has to be a joke right? At least I’m assuming it is!

6. Dave says:

You ARE kidding about the Brilliant (sic) Pebbles, right? Right?!

7. baphomet_irl says:

yeh I have to say the last place Id spend mony on on my hi-fi (what a quaint old term that is :p ) is the cables. I just dont believe it makes that much of a difference at all – I have some fairly good bi-wired cables with my system (System Audio 1530, Clearaudio Bluemotion (Pro-Ject Phonobox pre-amp) and ARCAM Solo) but i got the shop to chuck them in for free, they certainly look cool anyway and they’ve got banana plugs which I like, but I dont really think buying really expensive wires (such as those extremeley expensive ‘bare’ NASA grade silver strips which some people having coming straight out the back of their tone arms) will make a massive difference.
    However I do believe that they’ll make a lot more difference then these RJ45′s DENON are talking about, as while I might believe that hi-end analogue cables make a difference (for example I can definitely see differences in a cheap RGB SCART and a better one), I dont think digital ones can possibly be effected as much by quality. Having said that they are one sexy looking net cables eheh, even prettier than the nice ones that France use with the metal ends :p.
    My tweaks are of the usual cheaper low end variety (ie blu-tacking every point of contact on my stands, speakers and turntables etc, and filling the base of my speakers with sand (i intend to eventually get granite slabs to put under both of them)), those tweaks may not actually work, but at least they cost pretty much nothing :D

Having said that, if i were a millionaire, id be straight down to my nearest van den hul dealership…

8. Jeffrey says:

i bought brilliant pebbles… and now i get laid every time i turn on the stereo for my girlfriend.

9. Matt Huber says:

Genius! Haha…that is the most hilarious thing I have ever read. It cracks me up that they are trying to sucker people into a $499 ethernet cable…ridiculous…almost criminal.