Today around the internet you will see many blog posts about the environment because today is Blog Action Day! It’s a simple movement where bloggers pledge to write a post related to their field yet about the environment. Here is my top 10 ways a musician can help the environment:
1. Make a song about saving the environment! We need action people. If the artists of the world won’t stand up and scream a message then who will? Sing for a tree or a bird or the sun.
3. Don’t buy anymore Compact Discs. They all end up in a landfill.
4. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs. What? Are you crazy? We need mood lighting man! Yeah? You don’t need forests?
5. Buy rechargeable batteries for devices used frequently. Cordless microphones, guitar pedals, midi controllers.
6. Take your record collection out of the recycling boxes delivered to your house by the government and start using them for recycling again.
7. Use a coffee mug instead of disposable cups. Yes we all need coffee for a brain zap while mixing. Too lazy to wash a mug? Get a hot intern.
8. Ride a bicycle to the studio. Besides improving your green footprint you will save the world the pain of seeing a fat singer.
9. Recycle old computers.
10. Do a cover version of Electricty by OMD. Recorded in 1979 this song tells of a future where the human race has run out of energy and our last one chance is solar. Guess what? We are living in the that future today. For an audio sample: click here
Our one source of energy
All we need to live today
A gift for man to throw away
The chance to change has nearly gone
The alternative is only one
The final source of energy
So what are some of your favorite environmental songs or ideas to help? Isn’t this the most important issue we face?